vrijdag 8 mei 2015

Trunk & Rear fenders

With carefully removing bad parts, I am starting to replace the trunk floor. Actually, when I bought the car from the pictures, I thought the trunk was not too bad. :-)


Well, surprise....!





Luckily I have found a replacement (New old stock) part. 
I had it media-blasted and primered in welding-primer.











Reconstructing inner fender:

First mock-up for new outer fender:

And started on the rear end:

Lately, I have been making little progress on repairing the trunk and rear section. The rear had a severe damage, which was repaired with lots of bodyfiller!. It was definitely too bad to restore, so I decided to remove and replace a large section. Taillight mountings were ok, so I decided to leave them in place. 

First, I made a new cross member for the top of the rear section:


Then, it was time to cut out the bad part out of the rear section, and weld in the new cross member:


This also gave me the working space I needed to work on the trunk:



Now.... connecting the pieces, so the new rear section can be welded in.

First, a trial fit: 


Starting to look like she should .......
Meanwhile I fully welded the trunk and the inside rear plate.













The big gap in the rear end is finally closed and I am really happy with how it turned out. On this picture, it still looks a bit 'messy' but actually it looks very good. The crowned panel stayed in shape very nice during welding. I will post some new pictures in the next few days. Next steps: weld lower spotwelds to the trunk and close side fenders.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten